OZFAERIES SUMMER GATHERING 2015 REGISTER HERE NOW
Welcome to our Summer Radical Faery Gathering…….. …..here is a little information to help make your gathering transformative, safe and fun.
“We have been a separate people drifting together in a parallel experience, not always conscious of each other…yet recognizing one another by the eyelock when we did meet…down the hundred thousand years our hag and faerie history (hags being the proud and free women of the wildwood) here and there as outcasts….here and there as spirit people who mysteriously survive close contact with violent nature forces, in service to the Great Mother……on our small planet, it is terrifyingly apparent (today) that each hemisphere is riddled and racked to its very foundation by spiritual contradictions. It must be glaringly clear that the traditional hetero male-dominated subject-object consciousness is bankrupt worldwide to the point of becoming lethal. A new consciousness must surface to replace it, and I propose we gay folk, who Great mother nature has been assembling as a separate people in these last hundred thousand years, must prepare to now emerge from the shadows of history because we are a species variant with a particular characteristic adaption in consciousness whose time has come” [Harry Hay– A Separate People Whose Time Has Come]
But first some Gathering History…..we believe its important to remember that the Radical Faerys begun with Harry Hays call in 1978 to gay brothers everywhere to gather….
“to poet, Sufi, musician, revolutionary, shaman, heretic, community organizer, farmer, artist, healer, city dweller, Buddhist, dancer, magician, political activist, yogi—whoever you have become since the last time we came together”
Faery Gatherings are about creating community, (re)discovering and celebrating your faery culture, sharing meals, joyful play, a faery film festivals, dancing in the moonlight, joining together in workshops, heart circles, drumming circles, magic and ritual, erotic moments, exuberant performances, mindful solitude, radical drag, soulful tears & laughter, and just hanging out and connecting more deeply with Faeries from all walks of life. The detail, the stories, are created by you and the rest of the gatherers With so much going on, we invite you to come for the whole week if you can and truly land in this sacred space.
Australian Radical Faery Gatherings began just up the road from Faeryland at “Mandala” near Uki in 1982. We have gathered over 35 times since then with the last 20 gathering at Faeryland put on by the residents.
This year the wider faery tribe held 3 Confabs (discussions) where 20+ of us shared feelings and ideas about gatherings past and present. A collective of 9 faerys then formed to take over the reins from the Faeryland residents/stewards and organize and run this years gathering, beginning a new era for our community.
This gathering is open to all Queer Fey Spirited Folk and don’t you just love our new acronym QUILTBAAAG which is somewhat shorter than (Q)ueer (U)ndecided (I)ntersex (L)esbian (T)ransgender (B)isexual (A)ndrogonous (A)sexual (A)dorable (G)ay). We acknowledge that a Faery gathering is, by nature, created by its participants and encourages you to engage in contributing to that feeling of community.
Support and Giving at the Gathering is something faeries manage by diffusing the lines of privileged and rank by supporting each other in a tradition of giving more if you can and less if you can’t. Gatherings are a gift to ourselves to share our bounty and everything that is done at the gathering is offered freely on a volunteer basis. In this way we are all leaders.
You may be asking yourself if any of this describes yo and your intentions and it depends is the answer. This is our biggest general gathering of the year for queer radical faery folk new and old. If you have more personal questions why not talk to someone who has been before, or perhaps, just jump in and see what happens.
There are smaller and more themed gatherings that happen throughout the year so if a big gathering is not for you please do keep in touch with ozfaeries. We’ve had Silent Meditation Retreats, Gay Men’s (Awakening Faery Consciousness) Gatherings, Gay Men’s Faery Gathering and Faery Forest Camps to help build your connection with the natural world. Maybe you might create your own gathering with our help!
Check out these links for more information as each gathering is unique and a creation of the faerys that are there.
- Dates- Sunday 13th December to Sunday 20th December 2015
- Open ritual 1pm- Closing Ritual 11am
- Open this year to all Fey Spirited Queer Folk (QUILTBAAAGs)
- Come early for work week (8-12th Dec) & help us prepare for the Gathering or stay after to help clean up.
- Location: Faeryland Sanctuary near Nimbin Northern NSW
- Cost: $140 for entire gathering- no one is turned away for lack of funds so let us know what you can afford- give more if you can.
- To help create a more inclusive and safe space we encourage you to come for the whole week…. If this is not possible then we encourage a minimium of 2 nights to minimize the disruption of new people coming and going- definitely no day trips- visit us for a day at another time.
- For more info email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 66897070 OR 0407891913
We strongly encourage you to pre-register
- Registering in advance helps us plan meals and better coordinate the gathering(link to form)
- No one turned away for lack of funds…talk to us.
- We may limit the numbers at about 100 so don’t miss out.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Faeryland consists of 54 hectares(134 acres) of re-growth forest and open land and much love and care has gone into replanting the property over 14 years. Please respect our fauna and flora and ask an organizer or resident if you have any questions. Please explore the land carefully and quietly and do visit the creek or the far paddocks.
- Camping either in a tent or van is only in designated areas. Greeters will direct you on arrival about where to unload. We will provide wheelbarrows for more remote campsites then return cars to parking areas. Please respect the flowers and trees and the food plants and gather gently on the land and carry out what you carry in. This includes cleaning your campsite before you depart. If you cant camp due to special needs contact us first. There are limited indoor spaces available on a first come basis.
- Food-we provide 3 delicious vegetarian meals a day which includes vegan, GF, DF and sugar free options. Bring extra treats for your other needs and please respect the food preparation areas. Everyone is encouraged to help with meal preparation by going on the roster in the kitchen so ask anytime if the meal coordinators need extra help. There will be an allergy list in the kitchen as a way to advise cooks of your special needs.
- Drugs & Alcohol-be mindful of your use and others needs and personal journeys. We do not condone the abuse of D&A at the gathering as a way to ensure a safer space for more people. Please consider fellow faeries who are dealing with addiction or those challenged by use and behavior and please drink alcohol responsibly and remove your own waste for recycling. The main house will be a drug and alcohol free zone. We appreciate your openness to this necessary practice and warmly invite you to discuss it further with the organisers in person.
- Coming & Going– to help create a more inclusive and safe space we encourage you to come for the whole week. If this is not possible then we encourage a minimum of 2 nights preferably earlier in the week to minimize the disruption of new people coming and going. Definitely no day trips. Additionally don’t go off in the bush without telling someone. If you decide to leave and plan not to return please tell an organizer so we know your ok.
- Workshops/Playshops/Events/Activities-whatever is on offer at the gathering is created by the faerys who are there. There will be a Heart Circle each day which is safe container in which faerys can feel free to speak from their hearts without concern for being judged, criticized, or given unwanted advice. Also consider offering some of your talents, share you knowledge or skills, create a group to learn something new, offer a workshop or run an activity or an event. Talk to past attendees and see our list on the website of what has already been offered.
- Pets- Faeryland has a “no pet policy”…please leave your animal companions at home responsibly or use local boarding facilities. There are no exceptions to this rule.
WHAT TO BRING
- a tent & tarp, sleeping bag & bedding, come prepared with drag/clothes for all climates and social conditions, a raincoat, warm clothes for the night, brollie, a headlamp/torch, towel, arts& crafts bits, musical instruments, talent, goodies and treats, water bottle, your important medicines, sunblock, toys, insect repellant, helping hands, favorite book or movie, ideas for workshops & activities, clear intentions, mystical visions and fantastic dreams and a big heart.
- a willingness to pitch in. There are no paid staff at the gathering, so everyone needs to help out with a few chores each day to make the Gathering go smoothly. These include washing dishes, preparing meals, tidying and cleaning, repairs. It’s all up to us but the work becomes play when shared with your fae friends!
- We have limited indoor space for people with special needs, our rugged terrain is not completely wheelchair accessible. There is a designated fridge for meds and there will be dedicated first aiders identified and First Aid Kits is in the bathroom.
Please call Teacosy 0407891913 with your special requirements.
GETTING TO FAERYLAND
- We will send you a map once you register…we are 15 minutes N of Nimbin, 2 and a ½ hours S of Brisbane, 1 and a ½ hours W of Byron Bay, 1hour N of Lismore and 20 minutes E of Kyogle.
- Travel Informatiom-the Tourist Information Centers at Nimbin, Lismore and Byron Bay are very helpful so check there websites.
- Arriving by Car… the last kilometer is a dirt road so please drive slowly observe speed signs to minimize dust and respect our neighbours and wildlife and other faeries. From the gate proceed to the house, unload and park and say youwhooo to a greeter.
- Arriving By Train/Bus– the nearest train stations are Kyogle or Casino (Syd-Brisbane Line)….interstate buses drop you at Lismore, Casino, Byron Bay and/or Murwillumbah with smaller shuttle services to Nimbin our nearest town(Trainlink NSW)
- Arriving By Air– the nearest airports are Lismore, Ballina and the Gold Coast or Brisbane. If you contact us beforehand we may be able to line you up you with a lift.
WE ARE SO EXCITED YOU ARE COMING HAPPY TRAVELS KEEP IN